I intend to achieve a software engineering position among peers — where together we may freely apply technology to grow the business and our skill set.
VIA Studio, Louisville, KY
Consulting as Lead Developer
Leading 5 person development team with a primary focus to improve efficiency by implementing processes and tools, including: Agile Methodologies, Git, Jenkins, nginx, and WordPress Multitenancy.
SNAP Interactive, New York, NY
Senior Software Engineer
Member of the 2 person iOS team.
- Lead complete redesign, including rebranding and UI update from tabs to side menu reveal.
- Updated base SDK from iOS 4.0 to iOS 5.0 to universal app for iOS 6.0 supporting iOS 7.0.
- Fixed all warnings in core codebase.
- Decreased crashes by 90% (Crashlytics).
Pure Concepts, LLC, Louisville, KY
Owner, Lead Developer
2005 – Present
Consulting company focusing on web and mobile application development. Primarily providing solutions for small businesses and incubating my pet projects.
The New York Times, New York, NY
2012 – 2013
Member of the User Profile team. Responsible for million+/rpd APIs providing user data and services to the NYTimes.com digital properties.
VIA Studio, Louisville, KY
2010 – 2012
Hired after 3 month contract as lead programmer. Managed team while projects were in production.
- Lead 4 person team, creating processes and standards, and client support.
- Developer for top projects, including: Kentucky PVA online subscription services, client intranet, and custom e–commerce systems.
- Architecting solutions - WordPress, CakePHP - allowing VIA to handle larger projects.
Humana (Prosoft), Louisville, KY
Senior Front–end Developer
2008 – 2010
15-month contract to lead Marketing New Media Build Team into latest web standards and development practices.
- Conversion of humana.com (1700 pages) to valid XHTML, including development of new homepage and CMS templates.
- Created Java CLI tool to track, parse, validate, crawl, and search Humana branded websites.
Norton Healthcare, Louisville, KY
Senior Web Developer
2005 – 2008
Hired as full-time employee after 6 month contract. Developed intranet web applications for HR, Finance, and IS departments with ColdFusion and MS SQL using in-house framework.
- Rewrote several automated SQL scripts to scrub data from various HR and Financial systems.
- Lead rebuild of in-house framework to OO, MVC based framework. Reduced codebase by 46%.
L&D MailMasters, New Albany, IN
2004 – 2005
Sole programmer in emerging IT department responsible for web development and internal applications.
- Migrated larger clients from Perl to PHP increasing maintainability and cut monthly costs by 60%.
- Developed Perl program to parse and sort 100,000+ records into daily mail drops decreasing delivery times.
- Architected XML Web Service to automate order processing, tracking, and inventory.
PULSe, West Lafayette, IN
Web Support Consultant
2004 – 2005
Converted existing static site into dynamic site with custom CMS. Implementation in ColdFusion MX 6, MS SQL 2000, and Java.
Computer Science Department, West Lafayette, IN
Teaching Assistant/Lab Instructor of Introductory Web Programming (CS149)
Responsible for planning, organizing, teaching, and grading student weekly labs.
Digicove/Win.Net, Louisville, KY
Senior Web Developer
1998 – 2003
Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
Bachelor of Science: Computer Science; Minor: Philosophy, Psychology
2000 – 2004
Courses included C, C++, Java, Assembly Language, Algorithms, Compilers, Data Structures, Secure Programming, Operating Systems, Computer Architecture, Software Engineering, Databases, Networks, Graphics, Calculus, Digital Design, Logic, Physics, Spanish, Astronomy, Perception, Motivation, Personal Finances, and Business Management.
- Action Script
- Ruby on Rails
- iOS SDK
- MS SQL
- Mongo DB
- Regular Expressions
- Shell Scripting
- OS X
- Amazon Web Services
- Design Patterns
- Implementation Patterns
- REST Architecture
- Project Management
- wadl - Word a Day Learning
- phidi - PHP INI Diff Tool
- Author: PHP to iOS, PHP|architect (Pending)
- Speaker: From CakePHP to Laravel: A Look at PHP Frameworks (php[world] 2014)
- Speaker: 21 Ways to Make WordPress Fast (php[world] 2014)
- Author: 21 Ways to Make WordPress Fast, PHP|architect Vol. 13 Issue 4 (2014)
- Organizer of LouPUG - Louisville PHP User Group
- Author: The LAMP Behind a #1 Mobile App, PHP|architect Vol. 12 Issue 6 (2013)
- Speaker: Contribute (MOSSCon Louisville 2013)
- Author: Documenting your API with I/O Docs, PHP|architect Vol. 12 Issue 3 (2013)
- Reputation of 37,000+ on StackOverflow.com
- Author: WordPress as a Development Platform, PHP|architect Vol. 11 Issue 9 (2012)
- Speaker: 21 Ways to Make WordPress Fast (WordCamp Louisville 2010 – 2012, WordCamp Chicago 2011, 2012)
- Speaker: 21 Ways to Make WordPress Fast (WordCamp Louisville 2012, WordCamp Chicago 2012)
- iTunes App Store #1 Paid Sports App — PocketBracket (2012, 2013)
- Tough Mudder Finisher (Indiana 2011, Kentucky 2012)
- Speaker: Configuring WordPress for Multiple Environments (WordCamp Louisville 2011, WordCamp Chicago 2011)
- Member of 3rd place team for API Hack Day (Chicago 2011)
- Speaker: Building Complex Sites Using WordPress (WordCamp Louisville 2010)
- iTunes App Store Top 100 Paid Apps — PocketBracket (2009 – 2013)
- Zend Certified Engineer — PHP 5 Professional (2006)
- Author: Staying DRY with PHP, PHP|architect Vol. 5 Issue 8 (2006)
- Certified ColdFusion MX 7 Developer (2006)
- Zend Certified Engineer — PHP 4 Professional (2005)
- Professor/TA chosen Most Valuable Programmer for Software Engineering (2004)
- Semester Honors (2000,2003, 2004) and Dean's List (2000)
- Network+ Certification (2002)
- Web Development and Programmers Award (2000)
- Member of two-man team which placed 2nd in ACM Contest (1999)
- Two-time AAU National Indoor Champion (Long Jump 1997 – 1999)
I consider myself an active geek. I love learning. I have an outgoing and sarcastic personality. Aside from code, I have a passion for movies, running, camping, food, beer, and snowboarding.